words with prefix ante
Prefixes are key morphemes in English vocabulary that begin words. The English prefix ante-, which means “before,” appears in a fair number of English vocabulary words, such as antebellum and antedate. You can remember that the prefix ante- means “before” from the poker term ante, which means to put money into the pot “before” each round of the poker game begins.
The Penultimate Peril was the 12th or “second to last” book of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, which ended with the 13th book, entitled simply The End. Mr. Snicket could have named the third to last book The Antepenultimate Activity, or the book “before” the second to last book, but instead he named it The Grim Grotto. Imagine the trend: The Preantepenultimate Presumption instead of The Slippery Slope, The Supraantepenultimate Snicket Snapshot instead of The Carnivorous Carnival, etc.
Want to beat your Scrabble friends no matter where you are?
5 Letter words that start with ante
1. Ante: To take money for poker game before it begins
2. Anteroom: Waiting room before a main room
3. Antechamber: A small room before a big room
4. Antepenultimate: Before the second last in a sequence
5. Antedate : Date before another event in time
6. Ante meridian: Before noon
7. Antemortem : Place before death
8. Antediluvian: Before the great flood
9. Antebellum: Period before the war
10. Antechoir: Section in the church before the choir
11. Antelucan: Before dawn
12. Antenuptial: Coming before marriage
13. Antelude: A play before the main play
14. Antescript: A note added before a script
15. Antevocalic: A letter before a vowel
16. Antetype: An earlier type of something
17. Antiquity: Ancient times
18. Antique: Belonging to the earlier period
19. Anticipate: To realize beforehand
20. Antebrachium: The forearm
Following is a list of words based on the Ante Root Word:
The sort of mock-heroic gigantesque With which we bantered little Lilia first. Tennyson.
The successor seldom prosecuting his antecessor’s devices. Sir E. Sandys.
(third-person singular simple present antes, present participle anteing, simple past and past participle anted or anteed)